Monday, May 20, 2013

You're Hailing a Cab, Not Stalking a Mouse.

Walking the pup around Mt. Vernon Square this morning, we happened to spy a woman who, ostensibly, wanted to catch a cab. Now there is no shortage of cabs around the Convention Center there, but this lady evidently enjoyed the "hunt" more than the actual "kill".
We watched three attempts at employing her less-than-successful strategy. Here's how it went:
She was standing on the corner. That was a good start. However, she wouldn't raise her arm until a taxi got parallel to her. By that time, the driver wouldn't see her, or it would be too late, as the driver hadn't even started to slow down. It appeared as though she didn't want the driver to know she wanted a ride until the last possible second, nay, until at least one second too late.
I have no idea if she ever got the ride she was looking for. She was amusing at first, but that quickly faded. We went on our merry way.
It got me to thinking though.
This woman's plight translated into a lesson I need to remember while job hunting: I can't sit around and try to catch a job opportunity as it passes by. I have to be proactive and make sure employers know I'm looking. I have to wave my arms and keep my eyes peeled, or someone else will grab my job. And I need to look like a good candidate. Whether it's a cabbie evaluating potential riders or an employer evaluating potential employees, it pays to look like you're the one to take a chance on.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a cab to catch.

1 comment:

  1. Nice application. :) As Wayne Gretzky says "I skate to where I think the puck will be." Proactive, by golly.

    ReplyDelete