Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Tale of Two Pities

Unfortunately, we were turned away at the Postal Museum today. Something about dogs' past with postal workers. The thing is, Jack has never shown any animosity to any mailman, woman, or child. A pity. As we were told by the manager at Dog-Ma yesterday, Jack is nothing, if not a people lover (he was also nice to the other dogs). Instead, we went to the Capitol and its fountains. He seemed pretty happy with that as an alternative.

It's just so easy to ascribe the traits and abilities of others who look alike, or whose backgrounds aren't familiar to you, as being the same as what you've heard. Prejudging is much easier than giving everyone a chance.

Similarly, when the job market is tough and the supply is higher than demand, employers seem to gravitate towards the same people with the same backgrounds as they've hired before. It's easier than speaking with non-traditional candidates and you cut down on risk - and reward. I would argue that, when there are tons of people with the same background (as there seem to be in D.C.), this is the exact time you want to seek out others with different experiences and talents. As I apply to numerous federal jobs that I, on paper, qualify for, I still find myself never being called in for an interview. I'm told online that I qualify and that my application has been forwarded to the "selecting official", but that's where things end.
I'm still optimistic that I will be able to find something where I can have a positive impact on the world, using my talents is a federal agency.  I hope it comes sooner, rather than later. Every day I spend taking Jack to monuments is a day I could be assisting an agency with its mission. A pity (though Jack may disagree).






No comments:

Post a Comment