Saturday, May 11, 2013

Should I Tell My Doctor?

In between job applications, I've had a chance to catch up on a little TV watching lately. I've noticed numerous medication commercials, inundated with warnings. Apparently, people don't talk to their doctors enough. Here is just a sampling of the symptoms that, if you encounter, though you probably wouldn't think to, you should tell your doctor of:
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Tongue swelling
  • Pregnancy, current or potential
  • Diagnosis (by a different doctor, I would have to guess) of any medical condition whatsoever
  • Heart failure
  • Enlarged prostrate
  • Trouble passing urine (I always think of my dog having to stop anywhere another dog has peed. I have not encountered this urge, but evidently there are people who do.)
  • Kidney failure
  • Numbness or tingling
  • Loss of vision
The lesson here is clear people: We are all morons. When we visit our doctors, we all just sit around and talk about the weather and current events. We need to start talking to our doctors about medical crap. I know it's counter-intuitive, but our lives may depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment